Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ricky Rosas - 'SC football special assistant

Shortly after renaming this blog, I had a brief moment where cynical voices of "who are you kidding, sports are games and have no place in education or society" going off in my head. If you know me, of course this voice is the complete opposite of who I am - a great believer (and the product of, in part) in the power of education and sport. However, in one of my current roles, faculty athletic representative at Greenville College, I have plenty of access to the literature of the naysayers.

Anyways, the "voice" lasted about 1.5 seconds and then I read this Bill Plashchke article in the Thanksgiving edition of the Los Angeles Times on USC special assistant Ricky Rosas. As a Trojan football alum, it was great to read...and the way I always see the Trojan football program - a team of great people at a great University.

God built a world, first exemplified by Christ, where serving and love is the way for us to reach our highest potential. This article shows how Coach Pete Carroll reached out and re-shaped Ricky's life. Now Ricky, with his presence, reaches out and touches the Trojan players - reminding them that while they are elite student-athletes, they are also called to serve and love.

No comments: